By Breanna Fields
The holiday season has arrived, which means it’s time to get in the spirit and break out the festive decor.
There’s no better way to usher in the season than to add color to your home with a beautiful poinsettia centerpiece. You can buy one today and give back at the same time.
• Californians breathe the worst air in the nation. More than 90 percent of us are living in areas with unhealthy air.
• Youth smoking has increased for the first time in a decade — 90 percent of smokers began smoking before the age of 18.
• Asthma and allergies are the leading causes for school absences and account for 130 million missed school days each year.
• Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in the United States for men and women — more than breast, colorectal, prostate and pancreatic cancers combined.
Source: American Lung Association
The American Lung Association is hosting its annual Holiday Poinsettia Sale through Nov. 26. Proceeds from the sales provide assistance for local children and adults who suffer from lung diseases.
Sheila Archibald, the association’s development manager, shared details of the poinsettia sale with Bakersfield Life and also information on the upcoming Fight for Air Walk, scheduled to take place April 13, at Yokuts Parks.
How long has the American Lung Association participated in the poinsettia sale?
This is the 17th annual Holiday Poinsettia Sale, and this event continues to grow each year. Last year we sold 4,700 plants and grossed $65,000.
Where can the poinsettias be purchased?
Businesses, churches and schools wishing to buy poinsettias will have to find a volunteer (called a site coordinator) within the organization to place orders. These site coordinators typically sell to their employees, families and friends, clients, etc. Poinsettias may also be purchased directly from the American Lung Association by calling 282-3301.
Is this a local or nationwide fundraising event?
This is a local event started by the American Lung Association in Bakersfield. In the past two years, we have been working to expand this event throughout the Central
How will the money from poinsettia sales be used?
Funds raised from both the poinsettia sale and Fight for Air Walk go to help children suffering from asthma, those battling chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and other serious lung diseases, and help protect families from the harmful effects of air pollution and secondhand smoke.
What color options and sizes are available for poinsettias?
Four-inch plants cost $6; 6-inch plants are $10; and 8-inch plants are $20. They come in:
• Traditional red: Large red flowers are the signature design of this holiday favorite.
• Classic white: The elegant, white poinsettia is a lovely variation from traditional red.
• Winter rose red: A beautiful “double bloom” poinsettia.
How can people expect to receive their plants?
Plants will be delivered to the sale sites during the first week of December. Individual orders can be picked up at the American Lung Association, at 2025 Westwind Drive, Suite C.
How much has been raised so far from the Fight for Air Walk?
This is a 5K walk, and we encourage everyone to participate with their families, friends and co-workers. Our goal is to raise $100,000 to fight for clean air and healthy lungs. We have raised approximately $15,000 to date.
How can volunteers get involved with Fight for Air Walk, or the Holiday Poinsettia Sale?
For the poinsettia sale, we are looking for site coordinators and delivery volunteers. For the 2013 Fight for Air Walk, we are in need of walk captains and volunteers to help with event activities. To get involved, please contact Sheila Archibald, development manager, at 282-3301 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.