Compiled by Gabriel Ramirez
"My wife and I bought Dagny's in April of 2007, after I retired from Albertsons supermarkets after 30 years. Jackie, my wife, recently retired from the Tehachapi Unified School District and works at Dagny's several days a week," said owner Mike Walters. "We are the fourth owners of Dagny's in its 17-year history."
Serving it hot in the winter:
* During the winter months, Dagny's normally serves 250 hot coffee drinks and 50 hot tea drinks per day versus 100-plus during the summer months.
* While mocha (chocolate) is always the favorite hot coffee additive during the holiday season, Dagny's sells many hot drinks with peppermint, hazelnut, gingerbread, Irish mint and pumpkin as the additive.
* During the fall and summer months, Dagny's sells many cappuccinos, mochas and lattes. Another favorite for the downtown crowd are the old-fashioned espressos and macchiatos.
* Dagny's was named after the character Dagny in "Atlas Shrugged."
* Many of Dagny's current customers have worked at Dagny's in the past.
* All of Dagny's coffees and teas are prepared from 100 percent natural whole beans and leaves.
* Come in almost any afternoon and you're sure to see Bakersfield's own "Superman" -- a regular customer who dresses like the superhero.
* Dagny's has one of the largest selections of tea leaves in the Bakersfield area.
* Dagny's teams up with Bord A Petite catering company to serve fresh-made sandwiches and salads every day.
* All of the whipped cream used at Dagny's is made daily.
* Dagny's recently teamed up with The Apple Shed in Tehachapi to offer a large selection of their daily fresh baked pastries.
* Dagny's sells beer and wine, and has recently doubled its beer selection.
* Look for a new Dagny's to open soon in Tehachapi.
* In October 2008, Dagny's partnered with the Kern County Network for Children to open the Dream Center & Coffee House, at 1212 18th St. In collaboration with the Kern County Superintendent of Schools Office, it employs only emancipated foster youth at the Dream Center.
Source: Mike Walters, Dagny's Coffee Co. owner